There’s something very special about our October / November, and end of 2012 wrap-up; it’s also the 500th article published at Mum’s gone 2 Aus. That’s a lot of useful information for families relocating to Australia.
Recently Mum has been juggling family life, work life and the blog. Things have been even busier over the past few weeks with end of school year activities and the lead up to the festive season.
It’s amazing that we’ve reached 500 articles on the blog and we’re proud that after three years in Aus, and plenty of ups and downs, Mum’s gone 2 Aus is still going strong. In November 2012, 23,000 unique people visited our website, we had 40,000 visitors in total, and 167,000 pages were viewed.
Buying and selling property
During November one of the biggest milestones Family Mum’s gone 2 Aus experienced was buying property in Sydney. We haven’t written about buying property (yet) but Mum recently shared comments on The trouble with selling property in the UK, we’re still getting over the stress.
Rhythm of life down under
We said good-bye to Spring in November and have been enjoying the start of Summer in Sydney. With the warmer weather Mum was reminded that Aussies are early risers, read more about this in Rise and shine like an Aussie. Have you changed your early morning routine since moving to Aus?
Useful links and resources for your Australian relocation
It has taken longer than planned to complete our series of posts on useful links and websites for families relocating to Australia’s state capital cities. Each article has taken longer than we thought to research, as Mum gets distracted by all the great things to see and do around Australia. Below are the cities we’ve covered so far…we’ll cover Canberra and Darwin very soon.
- Family relocation to Sydney: useful links and websites
- Family relocation to Melbourne: useful links and websites
- Family relocation to Hobart: useful links and websites
- Family relocation to Brisbane: useful links and websites
- Family relocation to Perth: useful links and websites
- Family relocation to Adelaide: useful links and websites
Work-life in Australia
In Mum’s “back to work in Sydney” dilemmas we discussed some of the decisions Mum has been faced with since returning to work in Sydney including wearing tights (pantyhose) during summer, what to eat for lunch and whether to adopt local terms and pronunciation.
We also talked about language in Super fast, super excited, really very super frustrating.
Ready for Christmas in Australia?
A few weeks ago we shared our annual good intentions article, reminding readers to organise international post in time for Christmas. Read Christmas post 2012 – “card only” stamps and cut-off dates for full details.
We recently published Christmas Wrapping from Mum’s gone 2 Aus, a round-up of all our Christmas-themed articles – gift ideas, Christmas activities and much more.
Photos: Just for fun
Over the past few months we continued our Photo Friday tradition and published photos relating to;
Coming soon at Mum’s gone 2 Aus
In January we will celebrate our third year in Australia and Mum is as amazed as ever by how life has changed since moving to Sydney. Life today isn’t necessarily as planned, or as we might have expected, but the way we have settled in Aus it’s better than we could have hoped.
We’re not new to Aus anymore, but we still enjoy helping others who are, or who are considering the big move down under. Our Facebook community continues to grow, our ebooks are selling well and we still enjoy the creative challenges of running Mum’s gone 2 Aus.
In the New Year we’re planning to launch revised and updated versions of our education ebooks and we hope to hold a Sydney meet-up to celebrate the blog’s 3rd birthday. Watch this space, and please keep reading and supporting others who are planning their family relocation to Australia.
Twelve articles from the 2012 archives
Before we go, here is Mum’s pick of the best and most popular articles published in 2012.
- Global BBC iPlayer – British TV available in Australia
- Second birthday and the changing face of Mum’s gone 2 Aus
- A weekend in Canberra – excitement and education for kids
- Poisonous plants in Australia
- Banking in Australia: tips and terminology
- The ABC of Australian Schooling: Essential ebook for children going to school in Australia
- Surry Hills, Sydney – past and present
- International money transfers: Introducing TorFx
- Australian cost of living figures: can you afford to live in Australia?
- The temporary habitat of our permanent residence
- Australian relocation dilemmas: Should you use a relocation consultant?
- Photo Friday #47: Watch out for bindis!
If you have a question or comment you would like to share about family relocation to Australia please use the comments below, or email Mum. You can also join the discussion and ask questions over on the Mum’s gone 2 Aus Facebook page. Thank you.